
Perhaps, you've parked in the back...

and you might have noticed a bridge...
A few months ago, we finally decided to check out the bridge, known as the Vermont Street Bridge, which connects Hillcrest to the University Heights neighboord. Originally built in 1916, it was later rebuilt and rededicated in 1995. For the old timers in San Diego, this whole "Ralphs/Trader Joe's" shopping area was once a Sears. Back in the late 80's, none of this was developed. What we now know as the "Uptown" shopping district began in the early 90's.

That day, we thought it would be fun to not only "explore" this bridge, but a few other footbridges in San Diego. We live in such a beautiful city and there are lots of "hidden" in plain sight gems that we often overlook or are not aware of.

The bridge has lasercut pictographs and quotes scattered through its expanse.

The new metal bridge was rededicated in 1994.

It's not really that long, and unlike the Spruce Street Suspension Bridge, this one is pretty solid and does not sway precariously if you stomp on it, not that you should be doing that.

View as you head towards the other side.

View overlooking the 163.

Another view overlooking the highway...

This was someone's garden at the other end of the bridge. They still had Easter decorations hiding in their plants (eggs and bunnies).


I like the stone pillars here. You can see the same type of pillars flanking the Old Trolley Barn Park.

It was kind of neat to walk over the rush of traffic.

More quotes...this is walking back to the Trader Joe's side.

View of the bridge and the end of Vermont Street.

You probably have driven under this blue bridge many times and didn't realize it was the bridge behind Trader Joe's.
The Vermont Street Bridge
located at Vermont & Pascoe St. (Hillcrest)
San Diego, CA
More info on the Vermont Street Bridge:
hillquest.com (History)
AidaMancillas.com (Art)
History Timeline of Bridges in San Diego
Our next destination was yet another bridge, this time in the neighborhood of Bankers Hill.


2 comments:
How cool! I have seen this bridge and of course never walked across it. I really vaguely remember that it was a Sears back in the day. I think I went there with there with my parents and I think they took me to McDonald's afterwards... hmm! There are lots of neat things to see around town that I have never checked out before. I want to go to some of the places that are listed on the Roadside American site (like the dinosaur bones that are out in Alpine in a trailer park! whaaaaat).
hi Mary - i like knowing the history of these things! for some it may be "mundane", but the bridge harkens back to older and simpler times when people traveled more on foot.
i love the Roadside America site. I plan our vacations around seeing various oddities. You should totally go see those dino bones in Alpine!!!! awesome!
Maybe you, Jake and the kids can check out the Spruce Street Suspension bridge one of these days. It's pretty cool and hidden.
i have 2 more bridge posts coming up. :)
Post a Comment