"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Corner Bakery Cafe - The bday freebies begin...

With today being the first day of April, I thought I would utilize a few of my birthday month freebies...

This place, the Corner Bakery Cafe (next to Chipotle in the Mission Valley Mall parking lot) is new to me...

I first heard of it from Mary (post linked at the end) during her birthday freebies roundup last Fall.

This was a quick visit to get my free Bakery Sweet

We were in and out in a few minutes. I already knew what I wanted...

We would end up trying the pastry later that evening...

This was the Blueberry Hand Pie with a lemon glaze...

It was the only pastry I was interested in. I'm not into brownies, rugalachs, or cookies too much. The hand pie seemed different. The other flavor of hand pie was apple.

The blueberry filling was quite substantial, eh? This was kind of like a pop tart on steroids.

While the pastry looked liked an overstuffed pop tart,  but it tasted better! The filling looked canned but there was actually real fruit in there. I liked the crust most of all, especially the corners. I think this pastry suffered from too much overkill in these areas: too much filling and  an overly sweet and thick glaze. Overall though, I liked it and so did Bert and TC.

It was Mary's post on her birthday freebies last October that compelled me to try this place out.

Corner Bakery Cafe
1025 Camino de la Reina, Suite 3
San Diego, CA 92108
(619) 692-0423

www.cornerbakerycafe.com

I also had my $5 birthday coupon from DSW (Discount Shoe Warehouse), coupled with another $10 coupon I had saved up.  DSW was just down the street from the bakery. I normally cringe at the thought of even venturing into Mission Valley, but I figured I'd kill several birds with one stone this morning.

Instead of buying shoes, I got this cute bird printed scarf, which was $16 but with my $15 in coupons, I only ended up paying the tax, so yay!

The fabric is a light gray chiffon with hot pink and army green/chartreuse birds.

The scarf is light enough to wear for the Spring and maybe into the summer.

Another birthday freebie was found at Sephora, a makeup store at the nearby Fashion Valley mall, another place I hardly ever go to. Thank goodness the rain had stopped earlier that morning. Driving in the rain and being in Mission Valley is NOT fun.

I didn't need to buy anything, but just pick up this cute little package of mini-sized makeup which included a black pencil eyeliner, black mascara and a neutral mini lipstick. Wow, I haven't worn pencil eyeliner in YEARS! I love my liquid eyeliner so much more! Maybe it's time to try my old Joan Jett look again, ha ha!

 I'm a creature of habit and it's hard for me to change up my lipcolors for a (gasp), lighter one. The dark berry shades of the 90's are still alive when it comes to my lipcolor (my colors of choice, MAC Media, Hang Up and Rebel).

At the risk of sounding materialistic, here is a list of other birthday freebies I'm waiting on (the key word being FREE):

Shopping:
$15 at Ann Taylor (or Ann Taylor Loft)
15% on any purchase from Anthropologie (not really "free" though)
$15 from Banana Republic (still waiting to get that email)

Food freebies:
Free burger at Red Robin (I'm going to skip on this, I did it twice and didn't really like it))
Free burger at Fuddruckers (This one will definitely be used!)
Birthday meal up to $7 at Rubio's
Birthday noodle bowl from Noodles & Company
Birthday sandwich from Which Wich
Birthday sandwich from Jersey Joe's
One cupcake from Sprinkles (which has to be bought on my actual birthday so that might not happen since La Jolla is so $%#@ far!)
Free meal (no beverage purchase necessary) from Cafe 21 (Bert will actually go this time!)
Free meal from Del Mar Rendezvous

I'll have to hopefully fit these visits in during the weekends. Although my real birthday isn't until another weekend and a half, it's fun to "stretch it out" and to get free stuff like makeup and lunches!

4 comments:

Mary said...

Happy super duper extra shiny full of awesome early birthday wishes to you, CC! I didn't know about Del Mar Rendezvous's program or Jersey Joe's so I'll have to sign up for those (I just did Rendezvous). I don't think they had those hand pies when I went to Corner Bakery - will have to remember that one!

caninecologne said...

hi mary - thank you! and another big thanks for your bday freebies posts! can't wait to utilize the cafe 21 offer. bert has never been; we are going to the one on adams since i dislike going to the gaslamp (parking, eh). :)

Cathy Doe said...

CBC is really nice, CC. It's kind of like Panera (did you write that? I didn't read..)Happy Birthday if I forget...

caninecologne said...

hi cathy - i didn't get a chance to check out their other stuff. i was just focused on getting that handpie, ha ha. no i didn't mention panera (haven't been there).

Thanks for the early bday wishes! :)