"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Sunday, July 07, 2013

Love Cupcake Cafe

[Update - Closed as of March 2016]

Have you ever received local papers (not the SD U-T) like El Latino or the Star News (for those of us in Chula Vista) on your porch, only to just toss it in recycling without reading it? That's what I usually do. But this time, I saved the July 5 issue of the Chula Vista Star News. The front page had the sad news that the Strawberry Fields on 4th and Main  was looking at its last (gasp!) season, after 27 years of being a fixture in the South Bay. The land was sold and was in escrow and would be put to another use. That was so disappointing to read. I suppose I should do one last visit to the fields for old time's sake.

However, it was page 2 that caught my eye. It was article about a new cupcake place in east Chula Vista.

Well now...I just had to see (and taste) for myself, so with TC as my trusty companion, we drove out near the mall in Otay Ranch and into this strip mall...


I was pleasantly surprised to see that the new Love Cupcake Cafe had taken over the space for the now defunct Tutti Frutti yogurt (last visit was back in 2011), which was vacant since May of last year.

The Cupcake Cafe is owned by Juan and Hortenssia Zatarian, a husband and wife couple. According to the Star News article, they had their opening last month and were unprepared for the crowds. They sold of their cupcakes in 70 minutes. They are still starting out and hopefully have worked out some of the kinks.

TC and I came early enough (11 am) so there was no problem of cupcakes being scarce.  Their cupcake display case greets you with at least 18 different flavors.

They also serve hot and cold drinks. Cupcakes are $3.25 each, which is the lower end of the going rate for cupcakes (compared to $3.50 at Sprinkles, $3.75 at Babycakes and $4 at Sugar & Scribe).

They must not have been quite ready yet since there were tins with batter in one of their other cases.

There were so many flavors to choose from. Another couple was in there the same time we were and they took some to go.  I liked the cute mini cupcake place card holder.


Gone was the old furniture and candy colored walls of the old Tutti Frutti. It was replaced with a palette of dark chocolate brown and hot pink (which I really dug), and seating galore.


The curved wall used to have the frozen yogurt dispensers.

This seating area was so darling...

TC and I chose four different cupcakes and ate one in the store.

The flowers (which were artificial) were a pretty touch at certain tables.

These three would be for later...

What we had while we were there was the Rainbow Bella, chosen by TC. The gal working there was nice enough to plate it for us and even unpeeled the cupcake.

We both loved the most and colorful interior. The frosting was a bit too thick for my liking though.

The view from our table. Mandarin Beijing is still there as well as the taco shop next to it.

The other three, now in the comfort of our home...

There's that article from the Star News.

This was the Flan Cupcake. A square of flan was embedded within the chocolate cupcake; it was topped wtih buttercream frosting and drizzled with caramel. My only gripe is that there wasn't that much flan in the cupcake. The square was pretty small.

This was the Mint 'n Dreams cupcake - again, a chocolate base topped with mint frosting and crushed mint Oreo cookies.

Lastly, this was the Neapolitan. Not only did the frosting echo the namesake flavor, but it was also layered vanilla, chocolate and strawberry within. This we liked very much.

You can even see the strawberry seeds in the strawberry frosting...very nice.

Of the four cupcakes, I liked the Neapolitan the best because of the colors and the flavor. TC's was the Rainbow, while Bert liked the Mint. All cupcakes were moist and decent sized. I wasn't really impressed with the mint since mint was only represented in the frosting. I guess maybe it's easier for them (and other cupcake places) to have one or two bases and then just embellish or flavor the frostings. I kind of like it when they go whole hog, like they did with the Neapolitan.

Love Cupcake Cafe
2110 Birch Road, Ste 105
Chula Vista, CA 91915
(619) 271-5683

They do not have a website, but here is their facebook page and the (mixed) reviews from that four letter site.

It was worth at least one visit and because I like to support Chula Vista businesses. I probably wouldn't go here on a regular basis only because all those cupcakes add up, not just monetarily, but also on my @$$ (ha ha). The girl at the counter said they add one or new two flavors weekly. They had a small handout that had at least three dozen flavors, so they do rotate their flavors, which is good. Keep 'em coming back for more, eh. At least there is another dessert option down here.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I loved the colors in that rainbow cupcake! It does seem like an awful lot of frosting, but most cupcake places seem to do that. Some people might feel gipped if they didn't get a ton of frosting for that price, haha. The couch/seating area is darling, too. Might have to go check this place out when we go down to get Jake's kids one weekend.

caninecologne said...

hi mary - i know, right? that's a lot of work, putting in those dollops of colored batter, but it turns out so pretty!

i like frosting, but not a damn mountain of it. hope u guys can check it out...they have a wide selection of flavors.

Mary said...

Colored batter is a pain in the @ss! But it does look pretty. It sounded like they have a lot of flavors!

caninecologne said...

Yeah, I'm waaaay to lazy to even attempt that.

They do have loads of choices here.