Last weekend we wanted to try something new...

I remembered a place I'd read about from one of Mary's old posts (well, not that old). It was a place that offered stuffed burgers. That was all it took for Bert to agree to check it out...
Located on the corner of 25th and Market is Sherman's Shack...

The neighborhood is considered Sherman Heights, and is on the outer outer edge of downtown.


The walls within were corrugated iron with a cut out of California inside.

We initially sat by the non-existent windows, but later moved because it got too windy.

If you look ahead, you can see the edge of downtown...

Bert ordering our lunch...

Their menu which you can also check out here:

Bert got the sliders whilee TC was the one who ended up with the stuffed burger. No tacos for us.

I got the Cali Zinger salad...

We liked the happy yellow walls; it reminded us of our kitchen/informal dining area.

There were random mugs (with utensils) and thrift store salt and pepper shakers on each table.

Near the bathrooms was a small shelf with a variety of hot sauces. Mary's post (linked at the end) has more photos of the decor and the sauces.

My Cali Salad which were mixed greens with toasted almonds, blood orange segments, avocado, and a "chili lime" dressing. The chili was actually that Asian chili sauce for "chicken", which added a tiny bit of sweet heat, but was a bit too sticky, heavy, and cloying to be a dressing. I thought this salad was a bit overpriced at $8. I mean, I'd understand if the greens were, "local" (gag) or whatever, but these seemed like it came from a bag from Costco. On the other hand, I'd gladly pay $9 for that salad I had at Green Acre since I know every ingredient in that salad came fresh from the restaurant's outdoor garden and tasted better too!

As you can see, we'd already switched tables, as evidenced by the skunk salt and pepper shakers. Here are the onion rings Bert got for us to share. They came with a housemade buttermilk dressing which was pretty good. We really liked the batter on this. Not "crumby", but smooth and even and perfectly fried.

Although Bert was initially attracted by the idea of a stuffed burger, he ended up with the Pulled Pork Sliders. This turned out to be something he regretted. The menu describes the pork as having marinated onions, cheese, jalapenos, and chipotle sour cream. Well, the sour cream "sauce" was really skimpy and provided the only meager moisture in the sauce. There were hardly any onions or cheese and more of those jalapenos. When we think of pulled pork, we think of something that's saucy or juicy. Not these things. The meat was dry as #$%&!!! Bert had to get one of the hot sauces from that back shelf to salvage it.

TC's entree was the winner that day, the Stuffed American Classic with all the fixings plus tater tots! Yes!!!

Her burger was really juicy and had the cheese stuffed inside as well as on TOP of the burger! Yeah, for the win dudes! Those tots were your basic frozen kind, but they were nice and crisp. There's nothing worse than soggy tots!

The best thing we had that day during lunch. I mean, my salad was all right, but that dressing kinda killed it in a bad way for me.

Even with the addition of this green hot sauce couldn't save the dryness of the pork sliders.

I can make a better version of this salad. That will be my next food challenge, ha ha. The ingredient list is good, but I would make the dressing much much lighter and probably not even have chili anything in it.

IF we ever decide to come back, I'd like to tr their pork wings, sweet corn hush puppies and one of those stuffed burgers!
Who else went to Sherman's Shack?
Mary of This Tasty Life went a few months ago. It was her post that made us want to give this a shot!
Plus another review from Thrillist.
Sherman's Shack
M549 25th St (corner of 25th and Market)
San Diego, CA 92102
(619) 795-7192
www.shermansshack.com
Not willing to brave the craptastic traffic and crowds in PB on a Saturday afternoon, Bert asked me to choose another place for dessert. The Baked Bear would have to wait.
Up next dessert in the Convoy area!


9 comments:
Well, now I'll know what not to order; saw Sherman's Shack in February and it's on my list...we are spoiled by Green Acre. Other than my first time (twice in one day) to Tender Greens, I've never enjoyed salad so much.
Yes, my thoughts exactly Cathy!
Green Acre's salad is one of the best I've ever had. I want to go there again.
I wonder what type of folks go to Sherman's Shack. It was empty save for one older lady when we went. Then, a bunch of "BRO's" came in as we left, ha ha.
Definitely the best thing to get here in the stuffed burger. The tacos are not good! The hush puppies are very good though, too. I want to go to Green Acre! I saw your post about it, it looked excellent.
hi mary - yeah, my daughter's stuffed burger was really really good! as for the tacos, it was not even considered. i can get way better (and cheaper) tacos down in my 'hood, ha ha.
you and jake would love green acre! they have those cool gardens outside and really fresh tasting food. did you see dennis's latest post on green acre? it's pretty extensive. i'm envious that he works close by and can go here easily for lunch!
I just saw Dennis's post about GA - looks so good! Been debating if I could make the drive on my lunch break... still debating. Maybe will have to be a dinner thing, if they are open then.
i just looked online and they don't have posted hours (unless I'm totally blind), but in looking at their menu, it seems they only do lunch not dinner. :(
maybe you could go on a weekend and throw in a sprinkles visit to make it worthwhile, ha ha.
Aw, I just read - only open M-F from 7-3. I would have to do it as a weekday lunch! I'll have to plan for that one!
hopefully you can take a super long long or something.
Duh on me!
I meant long lunch!
Post a Comment