"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Saturday, May 04, 2013

Record Store Day Crawl - Return to Donut Bar

Record Store Day was two weekends ago and it's high time I finally posted on my adventure that day....


(Record Store Day 2013 image courtesy of www.recordstoreday.com)

The Record Store Day Crawl (both records AND food) was shared with fellow music lover (she's hard core!) and fashion blogger, Cy of any2ndnow.

I couldn't help but think of a couple of movies that had scenes set in a record store. The first one was from the John Hughe's classic "Pretty in Pink" (released in 1986 and the first "date" movie for me and Bert while we were wee young 'uns back in high school). The movie featured a pre-"Designing Women" Annie Potts as Iona, the fashionably chameleonesque owner of TRAX, a new wave record store, frequented by Andy (Molly Ringwald) and Duckie (her best guy friend who "likes her" but whom I felt was obviously gay but still in the closet).

One of the funniest scenes involving a record store:

Even though I am not a fan of  Otis Redding's, "Try a Little Tenderness", the Duckman did killeth the song whilst prancing about in his super cool creeper shoes and thrift store garb!

Non-music lovers right about now have probably clicked the "read more" button because the post title refers to "donuts" and were either not interested in hearing about records (SACRILEGE!), Jack Black, Duckie's sartorial choices and my nostalgic interest in vinyl, or were very impatient to read about some damn donuts.  Ha ha. But moving right along...

Where was I? Oh yes, I'm still on the subject of record stores and movies with memorable scenes involving records stores. John Cusack (one of my first major crushes back in college) in the film adaptation to Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity" has my dream job...

Cusack is Rob, the owner of an independent record store in Chicago (albeit a failing one); he has two fellow music snob employees (one of which was played memorably by Jack Black as BARRY, aka "MY HERO", haha). Even though Cusack's character was kind of a jerk with women. I liked the fact that he owned and worked in a record store and got to play whatever music he wanted, was really anal about how he organized his music, and could spout off trivia about songs in various obscure categories.

I really dug  John Cusack in "Say Anything" and "Gross Pointe Blank" (which also had scenes involving records - Martin Blank's high school crush plays a local DJ spinning records during 80's Resurrection Weekend)! What a far cry from being one of the geeks in "Sixteen Candles" and Gordie LaChance's dead older brother in "Stand By Me"!

One of my favorite scenes involving Jack Black as Barry the record store clerk has been blocked from youtube so I can't post it here. It's the scene where he hilariously berates a customer who asks if they have Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called to Say I Love You" and tells the guy to "go to the mall" if he wants to buy "tacky sentimental crap"! It's kind of harsh but funny. (Update: click here to HEAR the scene!)

Here's another scene that I found amusing from "High Fidelity":

Records were the main reason why we were out that morning,  but donuts from the Donut Bar were THE reason we were out and about at the ungodly hour of 7:45 on a Saturday. We made sure to get downtown early so we could find parking (right around the corner, so yay for that) and stand in a line that would grow to twenty or more by the time 8 am rolled around.

Getting there early also ensure that we would enjoy a wide selecton of donut flavors...

I think we were number 4 & 5 in line that morning...

So many good flavors to choose from...

This looked good but I didn't want to have it melt and get all goopy in the car later on (it was supposed to be really warm that day), so this one will have to be for next time (if there is a next time).

Three types of Old Fashioneds...

The lady ahead of us bought THREE BOXES! If everyone did that, then it's easy to see why certain donuts sell out in a few hours time. Fk, and I just wanted four donuts. Leave some for the peons please.

The four donuts that I bought. which shows remarkable constraint. I knew we would be out and about that day and I wasn't sure how hot it would be in the car (where I knew the donuts would be sitting during our outing).

Folks waiting in line to get their donut fix...

The Creme Brulee donut - this was for me and would only last a few minutes. So cute and ready to be inhaled.

The German Chocolate donut for Bert. This is one of his favorite cake flavors which he enjoyed in donut form. I had a bite later that evening but didn't really care for it because I didn't really like the coconut texture.

This was their famed Meyer Lemon Blueberry Donut - I bought this for TC and it took all of my willpower not to bite into it. I didn't want  for her to open the box later and see all the donuts with bites in them. That would have been rude, I suppose.

The Blood Orange glazed donut. Since these are all handformed, they must have given me the mutant gigantor size. This seemed to be bigger than the other glazed donuts. I only had a bite of this and saved the rest for later. The glaze was tart and super super sweet. Like give me a sugar-rush-headache-sweet.

Cy's Maple Bacon bar. Looks like they chopped up the bacon this time instead of putting two small strips. This is better so that you can taste bacon in every bite instead of biting into and and taking the whole damn strip of bacon off and thus negating the bacon-y experience.

The Comerica building across the street was where we sat last time. This time, the chairs were chained up (perhaps it as because we were mega early).

We sat on the sides of the planters since the chairs were locked up.  Shoes featured: my Katie & Kelly mirrored sandals and Cy's British Knight sneakers (which look like Converse).

A few bites of the creme brulee donut and I was on a massive sugar rush. Apparently, there were two sizes and this was the mini (@ $2/the larger one $3). What I really liked was the hand torched sugar topping. Very crisp and crackly and THICK! So good this was.

TC was the lucky recipient of the this beautiful specimen...

Even though we ate this the next day, the donut was untainted by the shiteous spectre of staleness. OMG, I wish I bought more of these. This particular donut was TC's treat and I only had a bite but I wanted more (but didn't)! Best donut of the batch besides the mini creme brulee!

Previous visit to the Donut Bar:
Trolley Adventure 2 - Donut Bar

Our next stop would be at the Center for a visit to a yearly event which coincided perfectly with today's theme...

4 comments:

Jinxi said...

S and I still haven't been able to set our alarms early enough to get to Donut Bar yet... haha. That creme brulee looks delicious, though.

caninecologne said...

Hi Jinxi - that was so damn early! Never again! Ha ha, but seriously, that creme brulee and lemon/blueberry donut were really good. Thank goodness I had the small size creme brulee. It would be difficult to finish the larger version ---way too sweet.

sighgee said...

You are SO good at the movie thing. You would think that I am, being a Visual Arts major, with an emphasis on Film...but you are right, I'm more hard core on music.

That crème brulee donut was so very good. I really loved the blood orange one more than I did the maple bacon.

I had such a good time with you! I discovered another place for us to venture to: Carlsbad Village! I found a record shop there called Spin and there's some fashion and food adventures to be had there my dear :)

xoxo
Cyrillynn
http://any2ndnow.com

caninecologne said...

hi cy - i'm hardcore with music too! :)

is it a gift or a curse to be laden with trivial knowledge? haha.

man, carlsbad is so damn far! good to know about spin though!