"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Friday, September 07, 2012

Labor day lunch...

Marinated overnight and grilled over low heat for nearly half an hour (turned over at the halfway mark)...

These chicken thighs were the main star of our Labor Day lunch...


I didn't really do any measuring. Just eyeballed some low sodium soy sauce with chili sauce for chicken (I normally use the Spicy Banana Ketchup but didn't have any on hand), brown sugar, chopped garlic, and crushed pineapple...Pour over the chicken (boneless and skinless thighs; this was about three pounds worth).

We marinated it overnight, turning it over in the morning before grilling it after our return from El Super and Pepper Park.  Sometimes, I use calamansi juice or lemon juice to act as the meat tenderizer but I had leftover crushed pineapple from my teriyaki pineapple turkey patties earlier that week. So I made do with what we had...

Bert had grill duties while I prepped the salad.

We can't forget these:

The jalapeno laden salsa fresca...

and the delicious and creamy guacamole...

One half of the chicken (the other half was baked) in all of its grilled glory and topped with some of the onion Bert used to season the grill. Speaking of "Bert's Grill", that Filipino take out joint by the Vons on Telegraph is now closed, according to my sister. Boo...No more fried squid then!

Loved the caramelized burnt bits (where the fat was!). These thighs were nice and juicy. Sounds like that could be a Prince lyric.

We enjoyed the meat cut up and placed in the tortillas with a dollop of the guac and a bit of that salsa fresca...

The cactus tortillas had a vegetal taste. I wasn't that fond of it but we wanted to try something different.

We ended up having this again for dinner! It was that good! The other half of the chicken, which was baked, would be enjoyed later that week...

Hope you all enjoyed your Labor Day weekend! And now it's another new weekend!! Yay!

2 comments:

Darlene said...

YUM! Looks good.

This is my favorite way to marinate chicken -- just eyeballing the ingredients and using soy sauce as the main component. It took me a while to get into the American style of BBQ with lots of sweet sauces.

caninecologne said...

Me too! This is the type of bbq I grew up eating as a kid. Usually soy sauce based, then my parents would add other ingredients like 7-up, fruit juice, brown sugar and so on...