"Ride the Lightning" (full album) - Metallica

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hot Lips Pizza - SE Hawthorne

Hot Lips anyone?

No! Not THAT one!


This one!

And for the record, for you young ones out there that don't remember the tv show, "M*A*S*H", Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan was one of characters in that show (played memorably by Loretta Swit on the series but portrayed by Sara Kellerman in the Robert Altman directed movie).

We'd just had a tiny bit of a snack at the other location of Voodoo Donuts. It was time to head to our favorite area of Portland, the SE quadrant. I was interested in Hot Lips Pizza because it was a local chain known for using local ingredients and also made their own fruit flavored sodas. The interior space is quite large. Lots of seating in the main area where the pizzas are and much more seating in an adjacent area as well. You can see some of the ready made pizzas waiting to be heated up by the slice. You can also order whole pizzas (See their menu here).

We sat in the bigger room.

We ordered four different slices and three of their in-house sodas. From left to right - Bacon/Cheese/Potato, Pepperoni, Combination, and BBQ Chicken (house-smoked free range chicken).

This was a pizza that I couldn't find on the online menu, but it had bacon, cheese, and thinly sliced potatoed! It was awesome! Oh, and there's the Pepperoni. We liked the crust here. Thin, like New York style.

Just look at that bacon! TC found it too salty but Bert and I found it just right! If I had to choose between the four flavors, this was my favorite one!

Bert and I cut the pizzas into three equally thin slices so we could partake of each piece.

Our Hot Lips soda flavors were black raspberry, boysenberry, and raspberry. These were very intensely flavored sodas and were on the sweet side. I couldn't even finish mine. My teeth felt like they were going to fall out from all that sugar. But really, these sodas were good, but just a little too intense for me.

More of that pizza with the potatoes 'n bacon 'n cheese!

Ooh, another horsering!

Yes, the ground is wet.  It rained constantly that whole day!

I liked the different types of pizza they offered. They had some made without cheese but some sort of vegan friendly substitute.  It was also admirable that they used local ingredients (cheeses, meats, and vegetables) in their pizzas. It would have been cool to build a custom pizza with hand picked ingredients but I just wanted us to get whatever was there already. There's always a next time, right? We love this city!

Hot Lips Pizza (multiple locations)
SE 22nd and Hawthorne
Portland, OR
(503) -234-9999

hotlipspizza.com

Now it was time to roll some balls and knock some pins down!

No comments: