No, I did not go to a Kenny G concert although this would run a close 2nd to that.
Nor did I finally eat blue cheese without gagging.
I swallowed my pride and bit the bullet.
I demonstrated that I too could suppress my inner urge to flee like animals that could sense imminent danger and distress.
I didn't even hide myself in fear that I would be recognized at the movie theatre.
Nay dear readers.
Yesterday, D and I took TC out to see the new Justin Bieber movie "Never Say Never" in 3-D.

I considered it a cultural plunge if you will. An experimental descent into the curious depths of prepubescent minds of teens and early tweens.
To my utter horror, there was a separate roped off line to wait to get in making my shame complete. There were A LOT of little girls there, a few of them (including TC) wearing purple, JB's favorite color. Two of these minions were feverishly clutching and brandishing their Justin Bieber dolls with pride. I wonder if he's anatomically correct? Heh heh. That is soooo wrong.
There were a few dads there and a few boys (perhaps brothers of the girls that were there?). Luckily I didn't recognize anyone and no one spotted me. TC seemed to fit right into the movie's demographics. Ten years old. Female. Into "safe" and seemingly harmless prepube musical idols.
I notice that most movies nowadays are 3-D. Unless the movie is totally packed with action and explosions or something, I didn't think "JB - Never Say Never" warranted the 3-D treatment. It was a part documentary-glorified informercial slash concert movie. Instead, the movie supplied us with the contrived hand motions of JB and his dancers (OMG, he's REACHING FOR ME!!!!) as well as pyrotechnic explosions, shooting lasers and floating confetti unleased at his concert...
I'm not entirely discounting JB. He appears to be a really nice kid. He's kind to his fans and seems respectful of his elders. He's not entirely untalented. The kid has drive and determination. But somehow, I had the feeling that the movie was one long infomercial. The movie flitted back and forth between JB's rise to internet stardom hastened through social networking, along with his discovery by his unfortunately named manager, Scooter and hip hop superstar Usher. I read later that Justin Timberlake was involved in a bidding war to sign JB but Usher won out. This of course, is not mentioned in the movie. The movie fast forwards to JB's subsequent selling out of Madison Square Garden which is the pinnacle of his career thus far and builds up to the impending concert. In between you see his parents (his mom was 18 when she had him, yikes!), his grandparents, his manager, vocal coach, as well as musical guests, Boyz II Men (WTF!), Jaden Smith, Miley Cyrus, Ludacris and Sean Kingston. Man I felt so fkg old. I don't listen to their music but I'm vaguely aware of who they all are.
The movie had snippets of his young fans gushing about how "cute" and "hot" he is and how they love his "hair", his "dancing", etc. One girl said, "I'm going to be his FIRST WIFE". I laughed at that one! Another said, "One day, he WILL MARRY ME". Uh huh. Keep dreaming little girl. Despite hearing more JB songs that I cared to, I survived the movie intact.
"Baby, baby, baby, ohhhh
Like baby, baby, baby, ohhh...".
Yeah, JB. Lyrical genius.

My daughter was amazed that I went.I figured, as a mom, I could sacrifice my selfish needs for her just this one time. (Does that sound bad or what?) But seriously, if D didn't go with me, I would not have gone. Poor Bert would have been there instead. He's more self sacrificing than I am.
For now, I will indulge TC's growing musical independence. She likes "safe" music for now. JB, Taylor Swift. None of that Disney crap, thank goodness. Later on, as her social and cultural consciousness develops, she'll end up liking more diverse artists with lyrics of substance. For now, she can still be a kid and enjoy this music before she gets into gangster rap and satanic death metal.


5 comments:
Haha! Awesome.... Yeah, as much as I like making fun of JB I agree he does seem like a nice kid.
LOL!! Does TC have posters of JC in her room?
I still cling on to the childhood hope that I was going to be John Taylor's wife when I was 8-years old.
hi dennis - i gave up 1 hour and 45 minutes of my life for this post! jb is flavor of the month until his voice gets as deep as barry white and he grows grizzly man facial hair. then the little girls will drop him for the next manufactured teen idol.
hi darlene - yes she does - 2 of them and they are BEHIND the door.
OMFG - John Taylor was so hot! He also knew how to rawk that eyeliner!!!
Haha. You're a good mom for going. I was actually curious what exactly the movie was about. Thanks for the recap. Now I get the idea since I wasn't willing to watch.
hi kirbie - yeah, i should get a medal for that one.
you were actually considering going to the JB movie?
darlene - i was wrong. it's only one poster not two!
Post a Comment