Char-Broiled Corn
Giant Smoked Turkey Legs
Hamburgers...I'm not sure what the big deal was about these but you can get hamburgers anywhere not like Giant Smoked Turkey Legs!
Same thing with this booth...eh, Italian stuff...why bother?
Texas BBQ
Now you can't say the fair didn't offer anything healthy! Here were some vegetables...you can get roasted artichokes as well as roasted corn on the cob!
Even though we were intrigued, we didn't get the Chocolate Covered Bacon...turns out it was small 5 pieces frozen in a small Chinese takeout box. There were a few booths selling this healthy delicacy.
Seafood was also represented with this booth...
And here is the fruit group...Apple Fries, ha ha. By the way, some booths spelled "fries" as "frys" which really bugged me.
More vegetable offerings...Garlic-Battered Artichoke hearts and mushrooms!
We went the Farm Animals/Farm exhibits...Ooh, a Kubota tractor!
Lovely sleeping swine...
Baah!
There was a petting/feeding area for the kids...Some of these animals were pretty aggressive!Let's not forget the cows (which weren't aggressive)
This part was a mock grocery shopping center (sponsored by Albertsons). It was for kids 5 - 11. TC looked like one of the oldest kids there but she still wanted to do this. Each kid gets a mini shopping cart and a grocery list which asks kids to get the "best" (healthiest) choice for breakfast, a side dish, main dish, vegetable dish and dessert. Some kids didn't follow directions and ended up getting processed shit like twinkies, pop tarts, cookies, etc. TC seemed to follow directions for the most part and got oatmeal, fresh fruit (fake plastic ones) and vegetables, etc.
At the end, the kids get their items "scanned" and receive a coupon for a free banana or apple at Albertsons. There really wasn't any "right or wrong" though. Most of the younger kids seemed to enjoy "play grocery shopping". Wait til they get older and actually have to pay for it and budget and plan meals!
Stuff from the farm exhibit. After staying at C's place in Manitoulin Island, I had a greater respect for farmers (not that I didn't respect them before, mind you!)...

Not sure what type of flower this was but it was really beautiful...
Same with this one...They were near the flower and vegetable beds which I totally envied! I want something that lush and healthy in my backyard!
Finally, the World of Horses...which had a corral as well as 20 stables with different horse breeds.
This one was an Appaloosa
A Paint
This was interesting...
The Cremello horsebreed...
There were also a couple of cute minature horses that the handlers took out to run around in the corral...
Near the school art exhibit were some fenced off graves...
I've always enjoyed looking at the hobby/collection exhibits. This person's collection was buttons. I noticed it because I have the same button, "Hire the Left Handed, It's fun to watch them write"
This woman collected purses made by prisoners. The materials used were cigarette wrappers or other types of paper materials.
This person collected ONLY the Yellow Carebear, known as "Sunshine Bear". This was only the first shelf too!
Another person collected food toys in block form.
In addition to hobbies/collections, there were also displays of fancy cakes...
This one really did look like a pizza slice!
I liked this collection - Lucite purses from the 40's and 50's...
Another person collected heart shaped rocks and also took pictures of heart shaped things she saw in nature...this was cool.
While this was bizarre!
A collection of fly swatters! What's next? Toilet plungers anyone?
Here was one person's collection of ketchup packets from various fast food places. No two were alike either.
Now this one was kind of obsessive. A mother collected the junk from her 5th grade son's pockets for about a year. This was only one portion of the collection. Goes to show you that boys really do stuff everything in their pockets, eh!
This guy won the "Most Unusual" Exhibit award - His collection? Mechanical tape dispensers!
And last but not least, good bye from the Horny Green M & M (this was near the children's mock shopping center)
All in all, it was pretty fun seeing the fair again. Although I didn't get to see everything I wanted (lack of time), like the flower exhibit and the cakes/pies and other food items that were judged, we still had a great time sampling the different junky foods and also riding a few rides. I rode one called the "Mouse Trap" (NOT a Kid ride either!) with TC and man, I'm glad we took off our glasses and gave them to Bert. That damn ride made me want to hurl! TC went on a few other scary type rides while we tried to avoid the people hawking their rigged games.
Canada posts to resume soon!
























































10 comments:
I'm going to aim to start a collection that can be displayed at next year's fair. The easiest choice would be dryer lint collected for one year but I think I'll go another route. Fun photos!
hi darlene - you know i bet someone already did the dryer lint thing! :) you should totally do a collection! i'd love to see it.
i remember in the late 80's someone had a stuffed Opus collection - remember the penguin from "Bloom County"? I was thinking, man, I could do that! At the time, I had a bunch of them, plus Bill the Cat. All gone now.
One day, I'll have to submit a collection worthy of display.
I love this post! Those collections were pretty neat! I'm going to start collecting things now! LOL! Hmmmm...What to collect?!
hi c - i'm sure you already have collections within your house. it's so fascinating to see what people come up with every year. one year, there was a collection of "pyramids". another person collected vintage hotel keys, another one, "do not disturb" signs....etc...
hi cc,
I didn't get to go to the fair this year....but your post hit it all for me. great pics.
hi michael
thanks! also, thanx for the email about your upcoming shows...will make sure to catch at least one of them!!!
ugh! deep fried stuff will wreak havoc the next day!
Thanks for the posts about SD County Fair! I didn't get to go this year, but seeing your photos made me feel as if I was almost there. I love all the cakes, too!
Hi LMC - thanks! i felt the same way after seeing Darlene, Kirbie and Cathy's posts (my burning kitchen, kirbie's cravings & mmm-yoso)...hope all is well with you! :)
Yay, you got to go to the fair! Wow, I haven't even seen the horse or the collection exhibit before! I didn't know they existed. I need to look for them next year.
hi kirbie - yeah, the horses are kinda way out there. you have to go thru the tunnel or go across the bridge...
as for the collections, i really love those! they are in the same building where all the quilts are (boring, skip!), as well as the judged cakes/pies, but on diff't floors. i love the collections - you get to see people's quirky obsessions that way.
Post a Comment